1 cup will make quite a lot once it’s cooked. You could add more or less water during cooking depending on the consistency you like.
- ¼ cup Khichari mix or you can make Khichari mix by adding 1 Cup of basmati rice and 3 cups of split moong dal.
- 4-5 cup Water
- 2 tbsp. ghee
- 2 teaspoon. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Hing ( asafoetida)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves (optional)
- Take Khichari mix to soak in water and wash it thoroughly.
- In a saucepan put ghee and heat on medium heat, add Hing wait 20 seconds add cumin seeds let them splutter, add turmeric powder.
- Add washed Khichari mix, mix well.
- Add water and salt and cover to cook.
- Let it cook on medium to low heat for 20 to 25 min stirring well in between.
- When its cooked garnish with fresh coriander add ½ teaspoon ghee and eat warm.
Dr. Rachna Kumar is a graduate in Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery. Rachna has practiced Ayurveda for over 25 years in New Zealand, England and India. She continues to attend conferences worldwide, is invited by various organizations for lectures, seminars, and workshops globally. She now offers specialist health and beauty services using Ayurvedic principles for women in Hamilton www.ayuspa.co.nz