How to look after your hair during winter
Winter is the time when skin and hair need a little bit of extra care. Even when it is freezing outside, you could try these tips to keep your hair in great shape.
- Shampoo or wash your hair only twice a week. Use mild shampoo or natural hair wash powder to keep intact the natural hair oil
- Keep water temperature on a lower setting while washing your hair.
- Avoid hair dryer or very hot straightener.
- Use oil to nourish your hair. Hair oil.
- Use a hair mask once a week for deep conditioning
- Brush your hair gently. Avoid brushing in wet hair.
- Trip your hair regularly to remove split and dry ends.
- Eat healthy Improve your diet by adding protein, fat and fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Get a regular head massage with Ayurvedic oils.
- Keep stress under control. Try Ashwagandha.
- Take herbal supplements like Triphala to promote hair growth.
Dr Rachna Kumar graduated in Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery from India and has continued to develop her skills by attending regular courses in the UK, USA, New Zealand and India. She has practised Ayurveda for 20 years in New Zealand and England. She now offers specialist health and beauty services using Ayurvedic principles for women in Hamilton. www.ayuspa.co.nz